It is a dropped mobile operating system and digital platform developed for smartphones. It was initially developed for a closed-source operating system for personal digital assistant in 1988 by Symbian Ltd. It was used by many popular brands named as Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, etc. The OS of Symbian contains two components: microkernel and user interface. The Symbian OS was written in C++ language. Various versions of Symbian OS:
- EPOC32(Electronic Piece of Cheese)
- Symbian OS 6.0 and 6.1
- Symbian OS 6.2
- Symbian OS 7.0
- Symbian OS 7.0
- Symbian OS 8.0
- Symbian OS 9.1
- Symbian OS 9.3
- Symbian OS 9.5
Evolution Of Symbian: Symbian was begun from EPOC32. It was developed by Psion in the 1990s. In 1998, Psion software turns into Symbian Ltd. and established a partnership with Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and Motorola. After that Symbian OS goes under several different software platforms was created for Symbian with the help of these big companies. They incorporate S60(for Nokia, LG, and Samsung), UIQ(Ericsson and Motorola) and MOAP(for Japanese only). Symbian cover 67% of the global market of the smartphone in 2006. Nokia was the biggest shareholder of Symbian. In 2008, Nokia takes over Symbian Ltd. and established a new non- profit organization named as Symbian foundation. In 2010 Apple launched its iPhone and Google launched its Android Os, which continuously decreasing the popularity of Symbian. In 2012 Nokia launched the last Symbian smartphone named as Nokia808 PureView. In 2014 Nokia breaks its all ties with Symbian.
Dreamway - is a famous arcade which was ported from Palm, Pocket PC and MS smartphones to Symbian smartphones. This is a top race with cartoon graphics and handy operation. Take part in the fascinating adventurous race, prove that you are inborn driver and accept the most risky challenges: Alchemy classic Symbian OS, Series 60 Version: 1.0. Both Windows version and Mac version are available now, you can select one of them to download and install it on your computer to test first. Switch or Sync Data from Android to iOS/Symbian/Android in One Click. 1st - Download the program by clicking the blue icons above and install it on your computer. Then launch it and you'll see a window.
Features of Symbian OS: Symbian OS contained a browser, messaging, multimedia, communication protocol, mobile telephony, data synchronization, security, application environment, multi-tasking, robustness, flexible.
Afterward, the operating system of android undergoes several major changes. The current member of the Android family is 9.0 (Name: Pie). The core code source of Android is known as Android Open Source Project(AOSP) and it is licensed under Apache license. Apache license is also free software and open source license. The Symbian Operating System – Its Rise and Fall Before the Android world ruled Smartphones, the Bugatti insurance of operating systems for smart mobile devices was the Symbian OS. The platform was popular up until 2010 when Google’s Android gave it a run for its money. Download Free Symbian S60 3rd, 5th Edition & Symbian^3 Apps to your Symbian phone. Get free downloadable Symbian S60 3rd, 5th Edition & Symbian^3 Apps for your Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and other mobile phones.
Advantages of Symbian OS:
- Symbian OS provieds open platform to enable independent technology and software vendros to develop third party app.
- Symbian allowed impressive battery life.
- Symbian required lower hardware requirments.
Disadvantages of Symbian OS
- Symbian OS is dependent on Nokia
- Major drawback of Symbian os is it provided a late response as compared to ios and Android.
- The touch of Symbian use devices are not as smooth as compared to ios and android devices.
- Android 1.0: Name-unnamed, Year-2008
- Android 1.1: Name-Petit Four, Year-2009
- Android 1.5: Name-Cupcake, Year-2009
- Android 1.6: Name-Donut, Year-2009
- Android 2.0, 2.1: Name-Eclair, Year-2009
- Android 2.2: Name-Froyo, Year-2010
- Android 2.3, 2.4: Name-Gingerbread, Year-2010
- Android 3.0, 3.1, 3.2: Name-Honeycomb, Year-2011
- Android 4.0: Name-Ice Cream Sandwich, Year-2011
- Android 4.1: Name-Jelly Beans, Year-2012
- Android 4.4: Name-KitKat, Year-2013
- Android 5.0: Name-Lollipop, Year-2014
- Android 6.0: Name-Marshmallow, Year-2015
- Android 7.0: Name-Nougat, Year-2016
- Android 8.0: Name-Oreo, Year-2017
- Android 9.0: Name-Pie, Year-2018
- Hardware based features: Audio, Bluetooth, GSM, Microphone, NFC, and sensors.
- Software based features:app widgets, home screen, input method, live wallpapers, layout, storage, messaging, multi-language support, browser, Java support, media support, multi-touch, calls, multitasking, accessibility, external storage, video calling, optimized graphics, etc.
- Android can be built by anyone because it is based on Linux open source.
- Android phones are multitasking, you can perform multiple tasks at the same time. For example, while listening to music you can chat with your friend.
- Android provides app market known as Play Store. From the play store, you can download and install different types of apps in your mobile phones.
- Android provides a notification facility. Whenever new message comes, an email arrived on the phone it automatically shows on the home screen of the phone.
- Android provides a widget. With the help of a widgets, you can easily change or access an app.
- Most of the apps and features of android required an active internet connection. Without the active internet connection, you cannot access them.
- In android OS the wastage of battery is more due to the background processing.
- Many of the android application contains virus, for example counter strike ground force was supposed to have virus.
- Android system is not safe as iOS.
- iPhone OS 1:Year-2007
- iPhone OS 2:Year-2008
- iPhone OS 3:Year-2009
- iOS 4:Year-2010
- iOS 5:Year-2011
- iOS 6:Year-2012
- iOS 7:Year-2013
- iOS 8:Year-2014
- iOS 9:Year-2015
- iOS 10:Year-2016
- iOS 11:Year-2017
- In terms of performance iOS is magnificent and smooth.
- iOS generate less heat while processing as compare to Android.
- iOS are best for gaming and business purposes.
- iOS provides excellent security.
- It provides Jailbreaking for customization.
- It provides good face recognition security.
- iOS is depends upon iOS devices.
- iOS is not an open source.
- The price of iOS devices are very high.
- The cost of iOS apps are very high.
- iOS devices supports only single SIM.
- iOS applications are larger in size as compared to other mobile platforms.
Android is a mobile operating system which is successfully developed by Google. The Android OS is based on Linux operating system and open source operating system which is specially developed for touchscreen mobile devices like tablet, smartphones, AndroidTv, wear OS, etc. Android os is written in java. Android brought a drastic change in the mobile technology.
Evolution of Android: Originally android is developed by Android Inc. and in 2007 Google brought android. The concept of Android was described by Andy Rubin, Rich Miner, Nick Sears, and Chris White in 2003. In September 2008, Android was released as the first commercial Android device. Afterward, the operating system of android undergoes several major changes. The current member of the Android family is 9.0 (Name: Pie). The core code source of Android is known as Android Open Source Project(AOSP) and it is licensed under Apache license. Apache license is also free software and open source license. HTC Dream was the first commercially available smartphone with Android as an operating system of the smartphone. On September 23, 2008, Google officially released the first version of Android that is android 1.0. After successfully release of Android 1.1 Android goes through several updates, the updates of android continuous improvement in the operating system, adding new features, fixing bugs in the previous release. Various versions of Android are:
Features Of Android: Basic features of hardware is divided into two parts:
Advantages Of Android:
Disadvantages of Andriod:
iOS(iPhone OS) is a mobile operating system which is successfully designed and developed by the Apple Inc. iOS is the largest used mobile operating system after Android. It is basically designed for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. In terms of security, iOS is more secure than Android. The iOS interface depends upon the direct manipulation by using touch gesture.
Evolution of iOS: The concept of iPhone was innovated by the Steve Jobs in 2005. For iPhone, the iPhone OS is created by the Scott Forstall and Forstall also develop software development kit for programmers to create iPhone applications, as well as an App Store within iTunes. The first official iPhone with iPhone OS wass released in 2007. After the success of the iPhone in 2008, Apple announced the iPhone SDK for developers to develop applications for iPhone. In 2008 Apple released the iOS App Store with 500 applications. In 2010 Apple renamed the iPhone OS as iOS. The latest version of iOS is 11 and it is available for iPhone 5S, iPad Pro, iPad Mini2 and sixth generation iPod Touch.
Various versions of IOS:
Featurs Of iOS: iOS contains home screen, touchID for apps, icloud drive, health, Siri(personal assistant), Safari(browser), multitasking, message, interactive notification, camera, icloud photo library, game center, bluetooth, calls, accessability, voice recognition, face recognition, battery usage indicator, Wi-Fi etc.
Advantages Of iOS:
Disadvantages of iOS:
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to [email protected] See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the 'Improve Article' button below.
We might be aware of these two terms and usually we here that our Mobile is based on Symbian operating system or Android operating system, but we always curious to know , how exactly these Operatin System affect the performance and experience of our Mobile.
If we talk about age of these Operating System, Android is younger than Symbian, so it is more energetic in performance. Android OS is acquired by Google and Nokia is coming with updated versions of Symbian OS with increased performance and experience.Though Symbian OS is strong and updating with new features and software, but still Android OS is leader of mobile market due to its fast performance and easily available features and products.
So here is brief discussion on these two operating system :
- OPERATING SOFTWARE or FIRMWARE
Main feature of Android operating system is that you can update firmware or operating system anytime. like if you are using Android phone with version 1.6 Android and want to upgrade to Android version 2.1 then you can easily upgrade using your phone or computer. But it is not possible in Symbian , like if you are using a phone with symbian s60v3 and want to upgrade to s60v5, then only way is to buy a new Mobile Phone.
- CHANGING PHONE FEATURES
If you use SYMBIAN phone and want to change the way how your menu looks, the way how your gallery looks and how your videosq and music liabrary looks and how your notes and documents and messages, mms, and phone book looks the way your browser and file manager looks.Then you can download and install new applications available out there and use them for the purpose but that will take all your precious phone memory and also will not act, as your default application. If you don’t want this to happen then you can find a custom firmware for your phone that satisfy all your needs and flash it but that is risky as we saw before.
But in an ANDROID, you can acctually do little tweaks and treaks.By removing your default file browser and downloading and installing new file browser. That , It is no risky stuff no memorry eaten by an extra useless application that you don’t need and the new downloaded application act as your default application.
- PROCESSOR and Its SPEED
Now processor is very important to run high end applications, in a Symbian phone you cannot see what speed your processor runs on. But ,In an Android there are some applications,that not only gives you look of your processor speed, but also can help you control it and help you save your battery by going to minimum speed or help you run high end applications on your phone smoothly by going to maximum speed.
Android phones need more processor power and internal memory, so they save money on other materials and components. With the same amount of money, you can buy a Symbian phone with better materials and hardware features than any Android device.
Ovi Maps are far better than Google Maps. It is not needed to be on-line to use Ovi Maps, and you can get guided voice directions anywhere in the world.
Usually, Android phones do not have dedicated camera buttons, including the controls on the touch screen. Sensors, optics and overall camera, video and picture quality are worse than their Nokia counterparts.
- BATTERY LIFE
Symbian was designed for a low energy consumption. Symbian smartphones have a better battery life than Android ones.
Android ‘with Google’, includes the usual Google apps. This company already has a lot of personal information from its users derived from the search engine. I am afraid to give Google, or any other big company, my mobile information: search, mail or location. With Symbian you are not relying so much on Nokia, for example, I have the option to use Ovi Store without having an Ovi email account.
Symbian Os Download For Android Emulator
overall we can say Android Operating System is best because it gives you a power to do something new with your Phone like upgrade features, look of menu and performance. But it does not mean that Symbian Operating System is weak, you will get all features in Symbian but with some limitation.