Free Virtual Analog Synthesizer Plugin by BlauKraut Engineering
Charlatan is a polyphonic, subtractive virtual analog (VA) synthesizer plugin with focus on sound quality and easy usability. It comes with a flexible, yet not overwhelming feature set which encourages artists to start tweaking instead of just relying on presets. Inspite of it's simplicity, Charlatan's architecture is flexible enough to create both classic sounds and rather experimental noises. While making no compromise about sound quality, the sound engine has been highly optimized for efficient CPU usage making Charlatan well suited as a 'bread and butter' synth even in projects with a large number of plugin instances.
Native Instruments Maschine 2 v2.7.5 (R414) STANDALONE, VSTi, VST, AAX WiN x64 RETAiL.rar.
Best of all, it's FREEWARE! Enjoy!
- 2 oscillators with shape modulation
- Oscillator hard synchronization and ring modulation
- Unison mode with upto 7 voices and stereo spread
- Stereo noise generator
- 2 ADSR envelope generators
- LFO with host tempo synchronization
- 3 filter types modeled after classic analog hardware: 4-pole (24 db/oct) and 2-pole (12 db/oct) lowpass, bandpass
- 3 voice modes: Monophonic, Monophonic Legato and 8-voice Polyphonic
- Ultra-low CPU usage
Latest Version2.0 Final (2015-06-05)
- Fix loading of 1.x presets
- Fix popup menus with multiple monitors
- Make Amp envelope sustain parameter logarithmic
- Fix old presets (LFO Wave), add some new ones
- Reduce pitch drift
- BUGFIX crashes on AMD systems
- BUGFIX not loading in some hosts
- BUGFIX note hanging after switching voice modes
- completely rewritten DSP engine resulting in roughly 50% (!) CPU savings in polyphonic mode
- unison mode with upto 7 voices and stereo spread. Even with 7-voice unison, CPU usage is very bearable
- major GUI overhaul
- additional LFO waveforms
- stereo noise
- some more presets
- mostly compatible with presets for Charlatan 1.x (*)
Latest Vst Banks Vol-66
(*) Due to some tweaks to the sound engine, there may be subtle audible differences when loading some of the old patches.In most cases, it should be possible to compensate for those with some fine adjustments. Still, I recommend to keep anold 1.x version of Charlatan around if you need to fully preserve old projects. Sorry for the inconvenience...
Latest version from 1.x (legacy)
User preset banksPlease note that many of the presets are already included (maybe slightly modified) in the official releases.
- ZN_Classics_for_Charlatan.fxb (Zorniko)
- ZN_Classics2_for_Charlatan.fxb (Zorniko)
- Charlatan_Bank_NedK.fxb (NedK)
- Charlatan_Bank_2_Tek.zip (Teksonik)
- alvfaria_charlatan_banks.zip (Alvfaria)
Latest Vst Banks Vol-61More banks can be found at the KVR database. If you want to share your presets, please upload them there.
Solidtrax - Charlatan 21 by Solidtrax
Also, many exciting songs made using Charlatan exclusively are the submissions for the KVR One Synth Challenge (OSC) 33.
SupportDiscussion about Charlatan takes place in the Instruments sub-forum @ KVR audio. If you have questions or suggestions, post them there. You can also contact me at KVR via private message (username karrikuh). Note that I don't take any responsibility for any damage you might experience from using my plug-ins, so use at your own risk!
Copyright © BlauKraut Engineering