iMovie is the most important video editor for Mac. With it, you can easily edit your photos and video files and add animated titles, beautiful themes, music, and effects. From iMovie 3 (2003), it's bundled with all new Mac. It means, you can use it to make good-looking videos as long as you buy a new Mac from Apple. Also, Apple provides separate purchase of iMovie for Mac included in iLife, together with iWork, iWeb, iDVD, GarageBand, etc. This article will show you the history of iMovie, how to download iMovie for free and introduction to a better iMovie for Mac alternative.
Download iMovie for iOS >>
Mac users interested in Imovie hd for osx snow leopard generally download: iMovie HD old 6.0 Free With an abundance of powerful new features and possibilities. Imovie for mac free download - Bigasoft iMovie Converter, Apple iMovie, iMovie Updater, and many more programs.
Part 1: iMovie for Mac History
- The first version of iMovie was released in 1999 as a Mac OS 8 application, bundled with iMac DV. Since iMovie 3, iMovie is bundled with iLife and you can get it free with your new Mac.
- iMovie '08 was a milestone. In the version, iMovie was completely redesigned and thus was criticized due to its drastic abandonment of some iMovie HD 6 features. Fortunately, iMovie '09 added more new features and restored some features from previous versions of iMovie for Mac.
- iMovie '11 makes video editing more funny. This version of iMovie helps you make trailers for home movies, provides you more control over audio, instant replay and effects, news themes, and the easiest way to share your video on Facebook and YouTube.
- The iMovie 10, released in 2013, is another complete redesign with more options to share a movie, more movie and trailer themes, and more advanced visual effects.
- iMovie 10.1 was released on October 13, 2015. 4K video making and sharing was supported for the first time.
- The latest iMovie 10.1.10 was released on November 8, 2018. Directly upload to Facebook was removed. Instead, added the option to output video for you to manually upload to Facebook.
- iMovie is changing with times. It's hard to say whether it's better for you because you'll loss something while you're receiving something new. In my opinion, it's NOT a good idea to upgrade your iMovie for Mac if it works good for you.
Part 2: How to Download iMovie for Mac for Free
- Sometimes, you might delete iMovie for Mac by mistake. In such cases, you have to download iMovie for Mac and install it again. As new Apple users, you just need to go to Mac App Store to get it for free, otherwise, $14.99 is required. Moreover, you need to upgrade your Mac OS to the latest OSX Yosemite (OS X 10.10.2 or later).
- If you don't want to upgrade your Mac OS X, an iMovie for Mac equivalent is recommended to edit your videos.
- For your convenience, here are the free updates for upgrading your iMovie for Mac to the version 9.0.9. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide free update downloads of iMovie for the forwards versions on Mac OS X.
Part 3: Download iMovie for Mac Alternative
- Can't get iMovie working on your Mac? Forget iMovie then. There are so many video editing software available. Here I humbly recommend Movavi Video Editor for Mac. This is a perfect movie creating software for either novice or professional iMovie users. It's easier than iMovie for its intuitive interface and simple workflow. However, it also gives you advanced options to tweak your videos like iMovie does. Download this iMovie alternative for Mac now to make your first movie and you'll love it or choose from more iMovie for Mac alternatives.
iMovie for Mac Conclusion
When I'm searching information for writing this article, I find out that many famous software download sites like softonic and tomsguide provide 'fake' download links to iMovie for Mac. Actually, there is no separate install file for iMovie on Mac. All claimed iMovie for Mac links point to Mac App Store.
All In all, you have to pay for separate iMovie for Mac purchase. And if your iMac doesn't comply with Apple's requirements, you have choices of iMovie for Mac alternatives, among which Movavi Video Editor is our recommendation. Just download and try it yourself. Trust me, it's better than iMovie for Mac OS X.
iMovie for Windows Tips
- Easy yet powerful movie making software - better than iMovie for Windows. It's Movavi Video Editor -- a must-have program for editing video in Windows.
- Make stunning slideshows in clicks with photos, video, music and voice over.
- Directly upload to YouTube or save in formats like MP4, MOV, WMV, AVI, etc.
- Enhance your video with professional tools & 300+ built-in FREE elements.
Operating Systems:Windows 10, Windows 8/7/Vista & macOS 10.7 or later
Why You Need An iMovie for Windows Software
iMovie is the free video editor application for macOS and iOS. It's created by Apple and used only in its own operating system macOS and iOS. Apple hasn't released any Windows version of iMovie and it has not announced any scheduled plan to develop iMovie for PC. Actually, Apple won't earn money by selling iMovie for Windows. Instead, iMovie is currently and will only be a Mac/iOS exclusive video editing application. This is one of Apple's strategies to attract more people to buy and use their machines.
So what's the best iMovie alternative to edit videos on a PC? Our recommendation is Movavi Video Editor. Why? Read on...
iMovie by Apple
1. Latest version: 10.1.10 for macOS
2. Official Release Date: Nov 8, 2018
3. What's New: 1) Fully supports 4K resolution movies. 2) Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater. 3) Edit videos easier using iMovie together with MacBook Pro's Touch Bar. 4) Improves stability when updating libraries created with earlier iMovie on Mojave. 5) Remove FB option and adds a Prepare for Facebook
6) more ...
Powerful Video Editing Features Similar to iMovie
Every regular video editing tool is provided in this iMovie alternative for Windows, as well as professional tools like Green/Split Screen, Pan/Zoom, Animation, PiP......
- Split, merge, crop, rotate and enhance your video in clicks.
- Organize your video, audio and titles in tracks of the powerful Timeline.
- Enhance your video with professional tools like Stabilization, Pan/Zoom, Brightness/Contrast, Chroma Key, Color Balance, and more.
- Includes an array of free elements such as 48 free titles, 100+ filters, 100+ dazzling transitions, 100+ stickers, royalty-free music, backgrounds, etc.
Make Awesome Slideshows from Preset Themes
Put your photos, videos and music together into a stunning slideshow that will amaze everyone, using free slideshow themes or not.
- Create slideshow movies using free slideshow themes with preset music, transitions, and free elements for telling family, travel, love and sport stories.
- Every filmmaker will love Movavi's built-in free background music and images. You're also able to import your own music files without limits like in iMovie.
- Choose from various free title templates to tell an interesting story.
- Share slideshow online or continue editing in the advanced editing mode.
Your Movies, Your Ways to Share without Effort
You'll see all possible sharing ways in this iMovie for Windows software.
- Save video to your Windows PC in any format you want for playing anywhere.
- Upload to YouTube, Facebook and your website without leaving the program.
- Encode video with MPEG-4, H.264, or WMV for better quality but smaller size.
- Burn your videos to DVD/Blu-ray Disc for watching on TV with your home DVD player (Movavi Video Suite required).
- Import video from DV/AVCHD camcorders, TV-tuners, web cameras and VHS and record audio from a microphone (Movavi Video Suite required).
Frequently Asked Questions on iMovie Video Editing
Keep in mind that this is NOT an official iMovie for Windows version made by Apple Inc. It's a universal video editing software for PC, with which you can edit videos on your new or old Windows computer. Below are the FAQs that many visitors have asked whether there are specific features in Movavi Video Editor - the best iMovie for PC alternative in our opinion.
- Is there a Slow Motion effect? -- Sure, over 40 effects including Slow Motion enhance your video instantly.
- Is Picture in Picture possible? -- Yes, simpler than iMovie, you just need to apply Picture in Picture effect to two pictures or two video files and resize them. View details here.
- Can I speed up/fast forward footage? -- Yes, see how to do it here.
- Is there a green screen effect/feature? -- Yes, Besides Green Screen, you also have Blue Screen and Pink Screen. See the tutorial here.
- Can I record Screencasting? -- The single Video Editor doesn't support screencasting, it requires Video Suite to do this and more, like Video Converter, Video Digitizer, Blu-ray Burner, etc.
- Is there movie trailer templates, flight map template? -- No.
- Is it free? -- It's free to try for 7 days (fully functional but outputs with watermark). When expires, you can decide to buy and activate it or uninstall it completely from your computer.
Watch iMovie for Windows Video Demo
Is This An Ideal iMovie for Windows? Share Your Opinions!
Easy Steps to Make Movies from Photo, Video and Music
Step 2: Edit Your Video or Make a Slideshow